Guide to Recyclables
- All plastic bottles and jugs. The city accepts all plastic containers numbered 1-7.
- Aluminum cans
- Cardboard - Please flatten boxes and remove all non-paper packaging such as Styrofoam, no pizza boxes
- Mixed paper (magazines, bulk mail, phone books, newspapers, etc.)
- Steel cans
- Used books
- Vehicle tires (two per person), no rims or debris, no heavy equipment tires
Note: Scrap metals, appliances and tires are accepted for recycling at the curb, just not in the bin.
- Glass jars and bottles (clear, brown, blue and green). Also includes ceramic items, window glass, drinking glasses or mirror
- Computer equipment and Televisions
- Hazardous materials including fluorescent light bulbs, ballasts, used oils and chemicals - Please visit Greenville County Drop-Off Centers or take to Twin Chimneys Landfill
- Heavily waxed items such as laminated sheets, milk cartons, ice cream cartons, etc.
- Paint - dried paint can be thrown away with the regular garbage, or dropped at any Greenville County drop-off center
- Plastic of the following - plastic bags, trays, Styrofoam, diapers, etc.
- VHS and Beta tapes
- Compact discs (CD's) and CD cases
- Building materials, household furniture or appliances
Note: We do not accept any items with heavy food residue. Putting the wrong items in your bin costs time of the crews on the recycling routes, fuel and can contaminate other clean and acceptable items in the recycling stream.
Please keep all plastic bags (grocery, bread, dry cleaning and newspaper) out of your recycling cart. Plastic bags can be recycled at many grocery and retail stores.
|Type of Item
||Examples & Directions
||Magazines, bulk mail, phone books, newspapers, chipboard (cereal boxes, cracker boxes), etc.
|Cardboard||Please Flatten boxes and remove all non-paper packaging such as Styrofoam. No pizza boxes with heavy grease or cheese residue accepted.
|Paperboard||No heavy wax covered paper accepted. For example, orange juice or ice cream containers.
||Cans, foil or pie pans are all accepted if free of food residue.
|Steel||Steel cans and scrap are accepted. Please put scrap metal outside of your recycling bin for pickup.
|Plastic||Plastic containers numbered 1-7. Bottles and jugs or anything with a neck.